September 26

"The distinguishing characteristic of absolute despair is silence. There is a world of difference between the person who , believing that there is no use, says so to [themselves] or to no one, and the person who says it aloud to someone else. A person who marks [their] trail into despair remembers hope - and thus has hope, even if only a little." -Wendell Berry

3 comments:

  1. Tell someone, anyone. Can you believe that all it takes to generate a little hope is to share your pain with someone else? Imagine the possibilities! Tell someone and who knows where that hope will lead.... Maybe healing. I wish I had told someone of my despair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to journal. I had heard it was a good way to get your feelings out, but I found that it was another way of keeping my feelings to myself. It helped a bit to sort out what I was feeling about something, but it also had me to focusing and stewing on certain things which was waaay not productive.
    James helped and encouraged me to share with him what was up, because even if it wasn't related to him, it affected me and my moods and behaviour, which affected our relationship -and him because he loves me. It's easier now that I can share frustration, fear, anger, sadness with him (and bits with others as well).
    Sharing helps me to let go of those things I need to. Sharing helps me feel like I'm breaking the trouble into smaller pieces and that I'm giving part of it away. And that part isn't only mine to deal with anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thanks for sharing with me Ashley. It is so easy to just keep all our hurt and sorrow and anger to ourselves, but it just makes those feelings worse AND hurts those around us, especially those we love the most. Blessings to you, and James.

    ReplyDelete